Mold is literally everywhere; in our homes, outside, and even in our food. However, while it sometimes goes unnoticed to many, some Americans might be exposed to higher amounts of it or have a sensitivity to mold.
Here are a few mold symptoms you should know about:
Chronic Sinus Problems
If you have a chronically agitated or stuffy nose, it may not be any kind of cold, especially if you don’t have any other symptoms. A study found that up to 90-percent of chronic nasal problems could be traced back to mold in the home and workplace.
These can be caused by a variety of factors (such as trauma), but it can be something as simple as dryness in your home. However, mold can also cause your nose to bleed as well in some cases. Pay special attention to these nosebleeds, especially if you’re not to type to get them usually, or your environment has changed recently. Using bleach-based cleaning products and ventilating your home can help reduce the risk of symptoms such as nosebleeds.
Some people with asthma can have a “flare-up” if they breathe in airborne spores of mold. It’s important to have an emergency plan in place if you have both asthma and an allergy to mold, as the reactions can be severe. Even if you don’t have asthma, airborne fungus can cause breathing problems such as wheezing. If you notice shortness of breath or other respiratory ailments without an obvious trigger, it may be wise to visit your physician.
A particular mold called Sporothrix schenckii (closely related to the mold in bread and beer) can cause a skin infection called Sporotrichosis. The infection can be caused by mold spores entering the body through a puncture wound. In some rare instances, cats may be carrying the fungus, and the spores could also be inhaled. The initial symptoms once contracted by a human include a firm skin bump, which can become an open sore over time.
If you believe mold in your home is causing these problems, contact Ace Mold Proof for a FREE inspection.