An ounce of prevention is cheaper than a ton of remodeling!
Not only is a mold problem difficult and costly to fix, but mold can also produce allergens and irritants (and sometimes toxins) that may compromise your health. Control mold growth by controlling MOISTURE.
Here are some ways to curb moisture indoors:
- Identify problem areas in your home and correct them. You can’t mold-proof your home, but you can make it mold-resistant. Preventing mold from growing or spreading might be as simple as ripping up carpet in a damp basement, installing mold-resistant products, or repairing damaged gutters. It might cost some money up front, but it will cost more down the road if mold continues to grow unchecked.
- Dry wet areas immediately. Mold can’t grow without moisture, so tackle wet areas right away. Don’t leave wet items lying around the house, and make sure to dry the floor and walls after a shower. Don’t leave wet clothes in the washing machine, where mold can spread quickly. Hang them to dry — preferably outside or in areas with good air circulation.
- Prevent moisture with proper ventilation. It may be that your routine activities are encouraging the growth of mold in your home. Your energy-efficient home may be holding moisture inside, so open a window when cooking, washing dishes, showering or run an exhaust fan.
- Monitor humidity indoors. The EPA recommends keeping indoor humidity between 30 and 60 percent. Signs of excessive humidity include condensation on windows, pipes, and walls.
- Direct water away from your home. If the ground around your home isn’t sufficiently sloped away from the foundation, water may collect there and seep into your crawlspace or basement.
- Improve air flow in your home. According to the EPA, as temperatures drop, the air holds less moisture. Without good air flow in your home, that excess moisture may appear on your walls, windows and floors. To increase circulation, open doors between rooms, move furniture away from walls, and open doors to closets that may be colder than the rooms they’re in. Let fresh air in to reduce moisture and keep mold at bay.
If you suspect that mold has entered into your home, contact us at 615-921-1483 before it gets out of hand! We can solve the problem quickly and efficiently to avoid damage to your home or health.