Here are 11 things you should know about the mold that could possibly be growing in your home:
- For mold to grow, it needs water, oxygen and food. It can grow almost anywhere there is water, high humidity or damp conditions.
- Some people are sensitive to molds. The most common symptoms of house mold exposure are cough, congestion, runny nose or trouble breathing.
- Painting over house mold is not recommended since it will not kill or seal it up.
- Not all house mold is visible. Just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean that you don’t have it.
- The best way to control house mold growth is to remove the water and moisture sources.
- Before you consider house mold cleanup you should detect and repair the moisture source first. Otherwise it will return.
- In nature, molds break down organic material and recycle nutrients in the environment. However, molds digest organic material and gradually destroy whatever they grow on even your furniture, walls and floor if they get wet.
- Visible house mold on surfaces can easily be recognized by various discolorations such as green, grey, brown, or black, even white and other colors.
- We are all exposed to some levels of mold spores on a daily basis, both indoors and outdoors without harm. In summer outdoor spore counts are several times higher than those of indoor environment. Mold spores usually enter into the indoors through open doors and windows.
- House mold spores primarily cause health problems when they are present in large numbers and people inhale them.
- People can also be exposed to house mold by touching contaminated materials, pets and by eating contaminated foods.
If you suspect your house is hosting mold, give Ace Mold Proof a call at 615-921-1483 or click here to sign up for a FREE inspection. We can identify the type of mold, the source of moisture and generate a plan to clean existing mold, repair any damage and prevent new mold from forming.